The Engineer position is a contributing member to the site level Data Center team assigned to our data center properties.
The Engineer will have experience in mission critical infrastructure, including Generators, UPS Systems, HVAC Systems, Fire/Life Safety Systems, BMS Systems, and CMMS systems. It is expected that the Engineer-II candidate has expertise in either electrical work or mechanical work and it would be expected that he/she would be competent in the area of non expertise. The responsibilities of the Engineer are: to contribute to the daily site operation, including creation and modification of site operating procedures, contribute to creation of change management tickets, creation of timely incident reporting, site maintenance and repairs/inspections to help ensure ur data center operations achieve the highest level of availability.
- At least 3 years’ experience in mission critical facilities operating / engineering or equivalent equipment experience including assets associated with mission critical engineering relevant to the specific site. (UPS, HVAC, generators, fire/life safety systems).
- Hands-on electrical or mechanical skill and competence in the area of non-expertise (for example, electrical expertise with mechanical competence, or vice-versa).
- Strong knowledge of various UPS Systems and architectures.
- Strong knowledge of various cooling systems and architectures.
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, Failover Scenarios)
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills. Ability to respond effectively, verbally in writing to sensitive issues, complex inquiries or complaints.
- Detail Oriented with strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Acrobat, Visio or AutoCad
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems
Desired (but not required) Job Skills/Knowledge
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
Keys to Success
- Assist in achieving Five 9’s of Availability for all data center operations
- No human error and/or customer impacting events
- Assist in achieving 100% compliance with all customer SLAs
- 100% compliance to all standard operating procedures
- Internal & external customer communication and relationships maintained to highest standard
- Achieve 100% compliance with internal escalation protocols for all customer impacting events pursuant to our scalation standards
- 100% compliance with all health & safety standards
- Contributing to creation/execution/closure/storage of change management tickets, MOPs, and Incident reporting
- Gain a complete understanding of the following DLR and site related items:
- Facility layout and operation of MEP systems and the ability to illustrate site specific system one-lines with good accuracy.
- Equipment nomenclature standards and equipment locations
- Facility drawings and equipment specifications
- Equipment sequence of operations (SOO’s), standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and emergency operating procedures (EOP’s).
- Customer SLA’s and engineering specific lease obligations critical to data center operations.
- Facility top 20 EOP’s.
- BMS alarm functionality, alarm escalation/acknowledgement, and ability to extract data and trends
- DLR event management, event escalation, and incident reporting procedures
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), including the ability to create, edit, implement, and close change management work orders.
- Create/edit/resolve/close incident reports following a site incident
- Maintenance and Operations Standards
- Our Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety standards
- Gain a complete understanding of all aspects of data center operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24×7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Supervision of construction activity and installations as required.
- Ability to be the executor in the site specific change management processes including the creation of Method of Procedures (MOPs) for low risk preventative maintenance and repairs as well as the oversight of those maintenances as they are carried out.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
- Ability to respond to unplanned events without immediate supervision.
- Ability to efficiently complete rounds/inspections and to detect anomalies during those rounds.
- Develop or improve SOPs for site specific equipment.
- Gain a good understanding and knowledge of the local customers business and datacenter operation.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by us.
- Complete DLR Critical Awareness Training
- Available for possible 24/7 shifts
Where the cloud lives and business thrives
We built the global standard for technical real estate, developing a unique capability to acquire, manage, and scale data center campuses. Now, we are uilding a unique ecosystem of open solutions that power customer growth unparalleled data center services, carrier-dense interconnection, real estate acumen, and financial strength to create unique power of choice and value when and where our customers need it.
Interested in this job?
You can send your application, consisting of a motivation letter and CV, to Mark Karsch via the green button at the bottom of this page. You can also contact Mark for questions about the position via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Of course we are looking for the candidate who most closely matches the above profile, but are you just not fully meeting the requirements, but are you convinced that we should choose you? Then let us know!